Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Party Animals

Dance is a medium well used in all parts of Tibet and indeed across the world. Rarely appreciated to it's full extent in western cultures, which seems to prefer books and movies to tell it's stories, dance can amaze those who are not used to it. Well, to be honest I would choose a book or a movie over a dance theater as well, but probably woudn't if the said dance was anything like the Sacred Yak Dance I was treated to by the monks of Drepung Lubum monastery last month. So hilariously funny and emotive, it was such a pleasent suprise to see a "real" yak come out and dance while his owner asks the audience "Excuse me, have you seen my Yak?" I'd rather share the experience than write about it, so here you are, a video of the same dance, possibly the same performers.



Another interesting and very amusing video I found is the Dance of the Snow Lion: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4mNzvMaFt0 . Embedding is not allowed for this one though, so you'll have to click on it and everything.

1 comment:

Yoolees said...

Same here. I prefer watching a movie or reading a book rather than watching a dance. But sometimes, it is also great to watch dance show especially when there's heart in it :D

Hye
A Blog of Thoughts and Opinions